December 8, 2011

SodaStream Fountain Jet Home Soda Maker Review

Did you know you can make fresh soda every day in the comfort of your own home? SodaStream is a new innovative way to make your own soda, as well as save money and cut back on waste to help our environment. Recently I was given the opportunity to try Sodastream and their many Sodamix flavors for myself. 


A standard kit comes with everything you need to turn tap water into sparkling water or soda in seconds. The Fountain Jet Home Soda Maker comes in your choice of black/silver, white or red, one 60 liter carbonator, one carbonating bottle, three Sodamix flavors (your choice), and each bottle makes 12 liters of soda and, it also comes with the Sodamix Variety 6 pack. There are other Home Soda Makers that SodaStream makes and you can check them out to see which one would be perfect for your family.

When the SodaStream arrived my kids and I were very excited to try it. I was skeptical because I just didn't know if it was possible to make your own soda at home and still taste good. My kit contained everything I needed, and more to turn tap water into sparkling water or soda in seconds. The Fountain Jet Home Soda Maker that I received came in black/silver. Along with the unit I received a carbonator as well as the Sodamix taste sampler. The sample pack included 6 popular refreshing flavors root beer, orange, lemon lime, diet cola, diet pink grapefruit, and energy and each makes 1 liter of soda. I also received 10 full size bottles of the Sodamix flavors which included Energy Drink (compare to Red Bull), Ginger Ale, Green Tea Pomegranate Peach, Diet Pink Grapefruit (compare to Fresca), Diet Lemon Lime (compare to Diet Sprite), Cola Free (compare to Coke Zero), Sparkling Natural Root Beer, Sparkling Naturals Black Currant Pear, Cola, and Cranberry Raspberry. I also received MyWater Flavor Essence Variety 3 pack which contained orange, raspberry, and lemon lime. There are many other Sodamix flavors and you are sure to find a favorite for yourself and your family.




The Sodastream was very light weight, I noticed this when I pulled it out of the box. The directions come in just about every language so almost anyone can read the instructions to learn how to use the unit. The first thing you want to do is register your SodaStream when you do this you will receive a Free Gift with your next online purchase. The SodaStream came fully assembled, the only thing I had to do was attach the carbonator to the unit. 


Now that all of the important details were out of the way it was time for me to make my first liter of fresh soda at home. The flavor we wanted to tried first was the Root Beer. I attached the carbonator to the unit, then I rinsed out and filled the clear bottle with water, and pressed the tilt lever to screw the bottle onto the unit. Then I pressed the carbonating button on top of the unit. When I pressed the carbonating button it started to bubble up inside the clear carbonating bottle right away. It was amazing that I could do this in my own home. The first major benefit I noticed is that the consumer has the ability to control exactly how the soda turns out. Three buzzes will produce a standard fizz, additional presses will produce a stronger fizz. I thought this was totally great because everyone has the opportunity to determine there own level of carbonation. After I added the fizz I pressed the tilt lever and then unscrewed the bottle. When I unscrewed the bottle the air pressure was released. Another major benefit is the consumer is able to have complete control over the flavoring. The cap on top of the flavors has lines inside that help measure how much syrup to use.  I filled the cap from the Root Beer and poured it slowly into the clear bottle. While doing this I could immediately see it fizz up. I then screwed on the cap and gently tilted the bottle from left to right a few times. When I removed the cap I heard some of the pressure release just like you would hear when you open a bottle of soda from the store. I poured the soda over a glass of ice and watched it fizz up. I love being the Ginny pig so I tried it first! It was delicious it tasted like Barq's Root Beer. I was very surprised and I love the results. My daughter even watched me make the Sodastream.






We as a family tried all of the flavors. I am not able to drink the Diet Pink Grapefruit or Cranberry Raspberry on regular basis due to my medication. A few days a week won't hurt, but I really like the Cranberry Raspberry it has a unique flavor. It is a bit on the sweet side, but it is also my sisters favorite. I liked all of the flavors, and some of the brands taste like what I used to purchase at the store. The Cola tasted like Pepsi and my husband picked up the Fountain Mist to try and it tasted like Mountain Dew. My kids really love the Energy Drink which tastes like Red Bull, they're always begging me to make it for them even though I know they don't need anymore energy.



There are so many reasons why I love the Sodastream. It is quick and easy to use, and it saves you money. I noticed our drinks stayed fresh and fizzy longer than store bought brands. There is minimal clean up and there was a large variety of flavors. There is no High-Fructose Corn Syrup & No Aspartame (NutraSweet) in the flavor mixes.  There is no more toting around bottles or cans and finding room to store them, or finding storage to later recycle them. The Sodastream Sodamix bottles are fully recyclable and biodegradable. When comparing there are fewer calories & less sodium than regular soda. There was no electricity used to make the soda. The Carbonators are refillable and can be exchanged at a participating retailer


You will want to make a note of this that the carbonating bottle is not dishwasher safe, and it should be rinsed in lukewarm water.  Unopened Sodamix bottles should be placed in a cool dark place, and opened bottles should be stored in the refrigerator.

The only thing is I wish the bottle was dishwasher safe, but it's not a big issue. 

I highly recommend the Sodastream  Fountain Jet Soda Maker. This would make a great gift for Christmas or any occasion. Everyone in my family just loves it and now we can have fresh soda anytime.


Disclosure: I received the SodaStream Fountain Jet Home Soda Maker as well as Sodamix flavor  products for free in order to try the products and form an opinion for this review. I was not compensated in any other manner. The opinions expressed above are my own and any claims should be verified on the sponsor’s site.

6 comments:

royalegacy said...

I've looked this over at Bed Bath & Beyond, and I find that even though it would be neat to make my own soda at home, I have to go to them to get all my supplies. Then, also, their syrup is filled with High Fructose Corn Syrup. HFCS is a number one reason why I don't drink most sodas anymore. This system is just not for me.

DebrasDollars said...

Sodastream flavored syrups contain sugar (sucrose), not high fructose corn syrup (HFCS). Sodastream has chosen to formulate without high fructose corn syrup. The exception to this is Energy Drink, which indeed does contain fructose and dextrose, in addition to sucrose. In addition to sugar (sucrose), regular syrup flavors contain sucralose (Splenda brand. The diet flavors are sweetened with a blend of acesulfame K and sucralose, also known as Splenda. You can purchase the sodamix syrups online rather than at Bed Bath & Beyond and other retailers. The system isn't for everyone, however we are enjoying ours.

Angela Harsted said...

I like what I see I would like to have one.

cm punk said...

this is such a nice and useful information for us...i appreciate urs word........soda machine dealer

Manga said...

I keep reading how people do not like all the flavors' ingredients! I have a FIZZ Sodastream. I have never used any of the provided flavorings. I buy 100% fruit juice, any flavor altho I love pomagranate cranberry, and I add 1/4 cup to my finished bubbly water. It is delicious, healthy, convenient, easy, and soooooo much better than any drink you can buy. So, don't get hung up on the flavorings! Do your own thing!!

Manga said...

I keep reading how people do not like all the flavors' ingredients! I have a FIZZ Sodastream. I have never used any of the provided flavorings. I buy 100% fruit juice, any flavor altho I love pomagranate cranberry, and I add 1/4 cup to my finished bubbly water. It is delicious, healthy, convenient, easy, and soooooo much better than any drink you can buy. So, don't get hung up on the flavorings! Do your own thing!!